Friday, June 23, 2017

Dead Show/podcast for 6/23/17

This week we are back in Miami for the 2nd set of an incredible show the Dead played back on June 23rd, 1974. This set starts with a beautiful jam into Ship of Fools. The pace picks up with a sprightly Big River, featuring some great Garcia runs. Jerry slows the pace again with a soulful, 'Black Peter'. 'Around and Around' gets the show swinging again and them we're transported to deep space for a wonderful 'Dark Star ->Spanish Jam' - this one was chosen to appear on the 'So Many Roads' compilation for good reason.. sit down and soak this up.
The jam dissolves into a swinging 'U.S. Blues'; I really enjoy Keith's contributions here, a great jazzy take. A nice 'Uncle John's Band' follows and goes into a set closing 'One More Saturday Night'. They return with a 'Casey Jones' encore.



Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami, FL (6/23/74)

Three
Jam [4:09] >
Ship Of Fools [6:09] ;
Big River [4:54] ;
Black Peter [9:44] ;
Around And Around [5:08] ;
Dark Star Jam [18:15] >
Spanish Jam [4:02] >
U.S. Blues [8:03] ;
Uncle John's Band [7:59] >
One More Saturday Night [4:45]
Encore
Casey Jones [5:50]

You can listen to this week's Deadpod here:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/deadshow/deadpod062317.mp3

My thanks to the kind friends who have supported the Deadpod and make it  possible!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy, Professor! Per usual, I've been enjoying the shows you've curated for us these last few weeks. Looking forward to listening to this one a time or THREE. =)

Sorry to nitpick, but I was confused by the fact that this week's set was labeled as "Three." So, to anyone else who "had to know," I've already checked, and this appears to have only been a two-set show.

Wishing you a pleasant summer in MI, Professor!

the professor said...

Well the truth is that the "second" set was a 'Seastones' set.. which I chose not to publish, so this was technically set 3..

Anonymous said...

Yes, Professor...I came back here to acknowledge that I finally listened to this week's 'Pod, in which you explained this. When I checked dead.net, it didn't appear to be three sets; which is when I made my comment. Sorry to have created confusion!

I had never heard of Seastones before...gonna have to check it out, just to see what it's all about. As always, thanks for expanding my GD horizons!